IWCS Mission and Vision:
Mission Statement: To enhance and expand on each child’s unique gifts and talents to ensure every child is college, career and life ready.
Vision Statement: To create a learning environment that will enable every child to discover his or her unique gifts and talents.
The mission of Smithfield Middle School is to collaboratively maintain a climate which values high academic standards and nurtures the potential of each individual.
The school team at Smithfield Middle believes that:
- promotion of each student should be based on a high standard of achievement
- shared responsibility through school, home and community is essential for the total development of each student's potential
- the school should provide for the diverse needs by challenging each student to exhibit his/her best efforts
- opportunities be provided for assisting students in selecting and developing moral and ethical values as guides for responsible behavior
- a school climate should foster a feeling of acceptance of each individual, a feeling of pride and a sense of safety and security
- a diverse curriculum of both academic and exploratory experiences is needed to stimulate and nurture intellectual, social, aesthetic and physical development
- the integration of technology into the curriculum as well as varied forms of teaching strategies should be a fundamental component of the learning process
- opportunities and resources should be provided to encourage reading and lifelong learning
- the management of Smithfield Middle School be a collaborative effort among administrators, teachers and staff
- learning experiences should help to develop a full range of effective communication skills through oral and written expression
- continued assessment of student needs is essential in a complex and changing society