Message from the Principal
Revised School Calendar
- April 4 becomes a school day for all students with 90-minute early dismissal and exam day
- April 2 & 3 become full days (currently early release for students)
- April 3 & 4 become exam days (Moved from April 2 & 3)
Click on this link to subscribe to SMS updates!
Welcome to a new year at Smithfield Middle School. We are excited and look forward to having a positive and fun filled learning experience with your child.
We believe attendance is very important for your child to succeed here at Smithfield Middle School. Therefore, we would like to take this opportunity to remind you of the Isle of Wight County Attendance Policy.
- Students must arrive to school by 7:40 a.m.
- Student leaving before 2:20 p.m. will be counted as an early dismissal.
- Every three unexcused tardies or unexcused early dismissals or a combination thereof are equal to one unexcused absence.
- Students who are absent must bring a valid note stating the reason for the absence upon returning to school. The note must contain the reason for the absence, the date(s) of the absence, the signature of the parent or other authorized person, and a telephone number where the parent or other authorized person may be reached during the day.
- Middle school students shall not be promoted to the next grade nor granted credit for a course if unexcused absences from school or from a class which earns high school credit total more than ten (10) days.
- Also, there are some office procedures we would like to remind you of:
- Your child must be signed out if you plan on picking him/her up at dismissal.
- We understand emergencies happen, however, if you need to change your child’s transportation means or give them a message, we ask that you call us before 12 noon.
- Bus Passes will be issued only for childcare purposes, due to limited seating on buses.
- Students may not receive personal telephone calls during the school hours, however exceptions will be made based on emergency situations.
- Parents, please Do Not TEXT your child at school during school hours.
Should you have questions or concerns, feel free to contact the office at 365-4100. Our hours are 7:15 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.